Philo Ridge Farm is looking for a charismatic and experienced FOH Manager. You will be a skillful, personable, hands-on and enthusiastic leader of Philo Ridge Farm’s dining experience and on-site events who has the capabilities and drive to help the farm meet its ambitious growth goals over the next three to five years.
Philo Ridge Farm (PRF) is a beautiful regenerative farm and restaurant in Charlotte, Vermont. We manage four hundred acres of healthy pasture, forest, and diversified production gardens. We rotationally graze heritage livestock and grow certified organic fruits, vegetables, and flowers. Everything we harvest is processed on the farm and sold in our market and restaurant, where we feature a changing menu of seasonal dishes that showcase our produce and meat while highlighting local artisans and farmers. We strive to produce and share nutrient-dense foods, provide an exciting learning environment for our visitors and staff, and strengthen our vibrant local community, all while honoring the integrity of the land. We love welcoming visitors to our farm and to our table to bring people together. Learn more at www.philoridgefarm.com.
Our hospitality operations are the financial engine of our business. These operations are organized into a full-service restaurant with lunch and dinner service that seats 120-150 guests in the summer season, a small market and online grocery sales platform, and a special events program. Strong FOH leadership in these operations is critical to helping the business achieve its financial health and growth goals which enable us to further support our regenerative farming, research, education, and community engagement efforts.
Experiencing the connection between food, land, and place is a unique and defining attribute of our business. As the FOH Manager, you will curate this guest experience across the operation. You will report to our Culinary Director and work closely with our Chef. You will lead a team of front of house staff that are trained and well positioned in their roles to share the story of the farm in an authentic way. In managing the front of house team, you will lead day to day restaurant service and operations while supporting the market and special event programs. You will oversee the front of house facilities and be responsible for the dining area design, aesthetic and its impact on guest experience and team workflow. Partnering with the Chef and Culinary Director, you will curate all farm products and food at a consistently high level and serve as a conduit for information and feedback on product to the Chef and kitchen team. As a member of the leadership team, you will manage administrative tasks and processes related to the front of house operations and help shape the overall direction of our hospitality program at the farm.
Leadership and Service
- Oversee all day-to-day front of house operations and manage the team and facilities to produce a consistent and excellent guest experience.
- Partner with the Culinary Director and Chef to nurture a team culture that supports and empowers staff, champions consistent, positive and growth-oriented feedback, and results in a team that is happy and has meaningful engagement with day-to-day work.
- Embody and teach great service skills that support excellent guest experience. Spend time in the service environment engaged with guests and leading the front of house team through shifts.
- Responsible for all front of house staffing processes including hiring, onboarding, terminations, and regular scheduling of all front of house shifts.
- Lead front of house staff development and team building processes along with the training of all service oriented, operational and administrative tasks and processes.
- Lead the ongoing development of PRF storytelling and coordinate all Hospitality department staff training with other managers and supervisors.
- Maintain front of house facilities, including health and safety protocols, regular care and cleanliness, and opening and closing responsibilities.
- Support the Culinary Director in day-to-day management of the Market and Online Grocery operations including staff and service support, facilities, merchandising, and quality control.
- Maintain and enhance administrative systems for the restaurant and Market that leverage point-of-sale systems, inventory management, and order fulfillment strategies to improve operations.
- Manage tip reporting and payroll payouts with oversite from the Culinary Director.
- Oversee cash handling, bank deposit, and server check out.
- Partner with the Culinary Director and Chef to identify growth opportunities within the hospitality operations, set growth goals, and develop strategies to continuously evolve operations.
- Support the Culinary Director in the financial management of the front of house department and work to meet or exceed budgeted income and expense.
- 5+ years of management experience in restaurant and hospitality businesses with direct experience running floor service teams and managing a dining room.
- Passion for hospitality, great dining experiences, local food systems, and environmentalism.
- Strength in culture building, team development, and individual coaching
- Demonstrated abilities as a facilitator, mentor, and mediator.
- Gracious, warm, adaptable and calm under fire.
- Unwavering standards in delivering product, service, and a positive guest experience.
- Excellent verbal communications and presentation skills.
- Strong written communication and computer literacy including functional experience in Excel/GSuite.
- Consistent and accurate cash and credit card transaction management skills, including daily batching, drawer reconciliation, and bank deposits.
- Proficient with set-up, use, management, and troubleshooting of POS systems and inventory management systems.
- Belief in the mission of Philo Ridge Farm and enthusiasm for agriculture in the northeast.
- Experience in specialty food markets, catering, wine service and/or culinary positions a strong plus.