Philo Ridge Farm is a beautiful regenerative agriculture farm located in the small town of Charlotte, in Vermont’s fertile Champlain Valley. Using innovative and ecologically sustainable practices, we manage four hundred acres of healthy pasture land, forests, and diversified produce gardens. We rotationally graze heritage breeds of livestock and grow certified organic fruits, vegetables, and flowers. Everything we harvest is processed and sold in our kitchen and market, where we feature a changing menu of seasonal dishes as well as grocery and specialty housewares that showcase Vermont’s local artisans and farmers. Everything we do is rooted in our commitment to honoring our natural and human environments; we strive to produce and share nutrient-dense foods, provide an exciting learning environment for our visitors and staff, and strengthen our vibrant local community, all while honoring the integrity of the land. Food brings people together. We love welcoming visitors to our farm and to our table to share our story. Learn more at www.philoridgefarm.com.
Philo Ridge Farm is looking for a charismatic and experienced Food & Beverage Manager to run the front-of-house activities in the market and dining room of the Farm Commons Barn. This person will be a hands-on, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial leader of Philo Ridge Farm’s food, beverage and retail experience, including indoor and outdoor dining, in-person and online sales, and on-site events. The successful candidate for the Food & Beverage Manager position will possess excellent interpersonal skills with customers, staff, and community stakeholders, as well as strong aesthetic sensibilities and inventory management capabilities. The successful candidate will develop, implement and deliver great results with forward-thinking sales and merchandising strategies for both brick-and-mortar and online store environments. The Food & Beverage Manager must share Philo Ridge’s passion for land conservation, growing produce, and raising animals through regenerative agriculture practices.
- Oversee all aspects of Philo Ridge Farm’s guest service operations including a la carte dining, retail market and online store guest experiences, small event sales and coordination.
- Guide the Farm Commons Barn’s dining room and catering evolution as business expands and customer needs and expectations change.
- Manage the full spectrum of the guest experience and help cement Philo Ridge Farm’s reputation for superlative customer service.
- Contribute to the management and execution of food, market, and entertainment events as the farm’s event schedule develops.
- Help cultivate Philo Ridge Farm’s regional reputation for delicious and fresh foods made with the best local ingredients.
- Develop and implement management systems for the restaurant and market that make sophisticated use of point-of-sale systems, inventory management, and order fulfillment strategies.
- Lead and continually improve the market’s aesthetics and merchandising displays.
- Drive higher brick-and-mortar, event and online sales, manage labor and controllable expenses, and improve product margins.
- Collaborate with other department heads to identify best-selling items, develop farm product utilization strategies, and develop new menu offerings.
- Recruit, train, coach, and develop managers and staff in capabilities enhancing operational efficiency, financial literacy, communication skills, and goal attainment.
- Create a positive, inspired, team-oriented hospitality culture rooted in effective communication, collaboration and accountability.
- Research best-in-class local and regional food products that align with Philo Ridge Farms’ agricultural and business practices.
- Support market staff to facilitate product and customer service training, deliver effective feedback, and develop coaching plans for all team members.
- Maintain regular communication with supervisors regarding retail and online market operations and performance.
- Prepare accurate quarterly reports on business unit operations, progress toward goals, and budget variances.
- Ensure market policies are administered consistently and terminate market employees when necessary.
- Contribute to open and constructive communication between Philo Ridge Farm staff, managers, and leadership.
- A leadership style based in curiosity, active listening, collaboration, patience, persistence, clear communication, creative problem solving, and accountability.
- Passion for hospitality, selling food, farming, local food systems, land management, and environmentalism.
- 3+ years of management experience in retail food business with direct responsibility managing a team.
- 6-8 years of comparable food industry experience with a background in catering, restaurant front-of-house, and events.
- Outstanding customer service abilities, interpersonal skills, aesthetic judgment, and charisma.
- Strong capabilities in culture building, team development, and individual coaching, with fully developed abilities as facilitator, mentor, and mediator.
- Highly adaptable, unflappable, calm under fire, and capable of adjusting operations as conditions and needs change.
- Unwavering standards in delivering an excellent product accompanied by a positive guest experience.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial abilities in a business management role.
- Strong financial abilities in developing store pro forma, reading sales reports, forecasting sales, and adjusting purchasing based on sales metrics.
- Outstanding cash and credit card transaction management skills, including daily batching, drawer reconciliation, and bank deposits.
- Significant proficiency with set-up, use, management, and troubleshooting of retail POS systems, e-commerce stores, and inventory management systems.
- Strong belief in the mission of Philo Ridge Farm as well as a love for agricultural life in Vermont.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher academic attainment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications and presentation skills.
- Excellent abilities in project management.
- Ability to read, interpret, and develop actionable responses to business financial statements.
- Strong computer literacy including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite: Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Compensation is based on verified experience.
Benefits & Perks
At Philo Ridge Farm, located in in Vermont’s beautiful Champlain Valley, we strive to provide a healthy and exciting learning environment for our team. While the farm is located in the rural town of Charlotte, it is a 25-minute drive to downtown Burlington where you can find restaurants, shops, theaters and a culturally rich community.
Benefits include accrued paid time off, complimentary staff meal prepared daily, health care benefits, and an employee discount on products in our market.
Candidates should send the following information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Food & Beverage Manager” in the subject line.
- Cover letter explaining interest in this job
- Available start date
- Three professional references with contact information
Qualified candidates will be contacted directly.
Note: All new hires are required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test prior to start.
Philo Ridge Farm is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.